Whether you're new to the climate movement or a long-time activist, we know there's a lot of knowledge to absorb. The intent of this page isn't to endorse any of the specific resources listed, but rather to gather some options for you to check out.
If you have suggestions for any other additions to this page, please email Cat!
🌎 350 Sacramento content
📚 Books and other content
Note: If you do purchase books or other products from Amazon, consider using smile.amazon.com and designating 350 Sacramento as your charity of choice!
- Don't Even Think About It: Why Our Brains Are Wired to Ignore Climate Change by George Marshall
- This Changes Everything: Capitalism vs. The Climate by Naomi Klein
- Carbon Zero: Imagining Cities That Can Save the Planet by Alex Steffen
- Books by Kim Stanley Robinson - We don't have a specific title, but the numerous science fiction books by local author KSR take on themes of climate change and global warming.
- Climate Change Course by Tom Suchanek, Ph.D.
- One of the Best Places to Fight for the Environment Is in Your Workplace by Colin M.
- A Life on Our Planet: My Witness Statement and a Vision for the Future by David Attenborough - Recommended by our volunteer, Cat X. "The first half of this book is a summary of how we've caused the world to fall apart around us, but the second half is really uplifting and gives you an idea of ventures to support or be a part of. I bawled through the first half lol if I didn't know the second half was uplifting, I would have stopped reading! Highly recommend with this warning in mind!"
🌎 350 Sacramento content
- The Climate Report (based in Sacramento)
🔉 Other audio content
- Recommended by our volunteer and Climate Report radio show host, Dale S.
- Living on Earth (based in Massachusetts)
- Radio EcoShock (broadcasted in 5 countries)
- More climate podcasts and radio shows recommended by Dale!
- Revolutions by Mike Duncan (Spotify | Apple Podcasts) - Recommended by our volunteer, Paul T., who said: "Over many episodes, he reviews in detail many different types of revolutions in history. You get a real sense of how societies in upheaval can go in different directions depending on various factors. I think the climate crisis will be bringing more upheaval than anyone alive has seen and perhaps more than anyone in history has experienced; being familiar with this type of history could provide us valuable lessons for the present and future, I think."
- Climate Change and Happiness - The Personal Side of Climate Change - Recommended by our volunteer, Bob R., who said: "There's a lot of research on how anxiety about climate change can contribute to depression, demoralization, burn-out. So it's important to take care of ourselves as we fight the good fight. ... [This is] a podcast by a very good climate psychologist."
- Recommended by our volunteer, May Lin C.
- A Matter of Degrees by Leah Stokes, Katharine Wilkinson - "We’re telling stories about the levers of power that have created the problem -- and the tools we have to fix it"
- Mothers of Invention by Doc Society - "Climate change is a man-made problem — with a feminist solution! Love, laughter and unforgettable storytelling lies in every episode as they celebrate the inspiring climate leaders around the world carving a path to climate justice for all!"
America Adapts the Climate Change Podcast by Doug Parsons - "Join climate change adaptation expert Doug Parsons as he talks with experts from different fields about the choices we face and the people who make them."
Drilled by Amy Westervelt - "A true-crime podcast about climate change, hosted and reported by award-winning investigative journalist Amy Westervelt"
- How to Save a Planet - Recommended by our volunteer, Nick A. "Join us, journalist Alex Blumberg and a crew of climate nerds, as we bring you smart, inspiring stories about the mess we're in and how we can get ourselves out of it."
📢 Take Action
👣 Calculate your Carbon Footprint
Here's a few different calculators you can use.
💸 Investing in the Future
- Check out our page about Electrification, which has great resources not only for those of you who are thinking about converting to electric, but also those of you who are ready to electrify!
- List of Clean Energy Contractors (particularly useful if you are a homeowner looking into home electrification!)
Divestment and Investment
- An interactive map showing CA climate investment programs, priority populations, and legislative districts. Background info here >>
- Fossil Free Funds is a handy tool when deciding what stocks or other options to invest your money in.
Climate Anxiety and Stress
This is absolutely a real and valid feeling. Sometimes you can channel frustration and turn it into action, but other times you should take a moment for yourself.
- Insight Timer - Recommended by our President, Ilonka Z. "I did a 10 day meditation thing for eco-anxiety from Insight Timer, a free meditation app. It was more aimed at people who are not actively in the fight."
- The Mind, the Human-Earth Connection, and the Climate Crisis Online Course by the Mind & Life Institute - Recommended by our volunteer, Muriel S.
Local Organizations and Businesses
Here are just a few organizations and businesses that you can check out and see what they're doing for the planet and our local community. Note: These are not sponsorships or endorsements.
Sunrise Movement Sacramento
Building an army of young people to create millions of good jobs and stop climate change in the process.
Sacramento Environmental Commission (SEC)
The Sacramento Environmental Commission provides environmental leadership, assistance and analysis, and advice to the Sacramento County Board of Supervisors and the City Councils of Folsom, Galt, Isleton, City of Sacramento and City of Elk Grove.
Sierra Club Mother Lode Chapter
Sierra Club's Mother Lode Chapter encompasses eleven local Sierra Club groups in Northern California. The Sierra Club is a grassroots environmental organization.
Sacramento Natural Foods Co-Op
Sustainably minded market for seasonal, organic produce as well as meats, fish & specialty foods.
Sacramento Citizens' Climate Lobby
A non-profit, non-partisan, grassroots organization focused on federal passage of Carbon Fee and Dividend.
Sacramento Climate Coalition
A grassroots alliance of Sacramento groups and individuals advancing the broader movement for civil rights, justice and our environment now and in these crucial years ahead.
Refill Madness is a Soap Refillery and Zero Waste Shop run by a family of 3 and a staff of 5 dedicated to the health of their customers and the planet.
Extinction Rebellion Sacramento
XR Sacramento declares non-violent rebellion against the US government for its criminal inaction on the ecological crisis.
If you have suggestions for any other additions to this page or are an organization that would like to be added to this page, please email Cat!