350 Sacramento is a local grassroots organization committed to equitable solutions that accelerate the transition to a sustainable future, with atmospheric CO2 levels below 350 parts per million (ppm).
Happy Holidays and a Hopeful New Year!!
First and foremost, thank you for joining us on this challenging journey to find equitable solutions to the climate emergency! We truly appreciate your support over the years—as volunteers, donors, demonstrators, team members, and in the myriad other ways you are helping to create a safe climate future.
Before we wrap up 2021, I’d like to share with you some of our recent successes made possible by your generous support!
Despite a pandemic, worsening climate chaos, and a dysfunctional political/corporate establishment, 350 Sacramento continues to chalk up wins in the fight for urgent action:
- This year we trained over 40 youth at our Student Environmental Activist Training (SEAT) program focused on environmental justice and grassroots organizing Young people are leading the way in the climate movement to secure their future, and many SEAT graduates have started Eco Clubs at their schools or are working on other climate justice projects. Our program’s success was rewarded with a grant from the Rose Foundation to fund 5 interns to pursue their own climate projects next year. With your support, we will continue to train new cohorts of young leaders in 2022.
- After years of our persistent advocacy, SMUD, our local electric utility, approved a Zero Carbon by 2030 plan, the most ambitious carbon reduction plan of any large utility in the This plan includes closing two fossil fuel power plants within 3 years.
- As a result of our leadership and engagement with the Mayors’ Commission on Climate Change, the City of Sacramento passed an ordinance that requires all new buildings to be all-electric, without natural gas (fossil fuel). With our ever-cleaner energy grid, this is a critical first step in reducing carbon emissions from the built environment.
- Our Climate Action Plan (CAP) Team has been tenacious in pressuring the County to improve their very flawed CAP, and closely following the upcoming City of Sacramento Climate Action and Adaptation Plan (CAAP) to ensure its actions meet the scale of the climate crisis.
- We have teams working to implement the Mayors’ Climate Commission recommendations and advocate for climate-friendly State legislation. We also host movie nights, climate coﬀees, a weekly radio show, community presentations, and are part of a new Environmental Justice coalition. With your continued support, we will accomplish even more in 2022!
Thank you for your unwavering commitment and investment in a safe climate future.
“We’re the first generation to feel the sting of climate change. And we’re the last who can do something about it.” —Governor Jay Inslee
The latest science shows our window of opportunity to maintain a livable climate is quickly closing, and that we must cut fossil fuel emissions dramatically in the next 9 years. That’s a deadline we cannot talk or negotiate our way out of, therefore we must speed up and intensify our climate justice eﬀorts.
“Action is the antidote to despair.” —Edward Abbey
How can you do your part to make our region a leader in climate action and protect this planet for future generations? Please consider making a monthly or one-time tax-deductible gift to support our vital work. The vast majority of our funding comes from large and small donations from our community… from individuals like you. And if you wish to also give the gift of your time, please visit our Volunteer page and sign up for an orientation.
Climate action is my anti-depressant. We each have something we love and want to protect. Whether it’s clear skies free from wildfire smoke, oceans and beaches we depend on, children and grandchildren we love, or the basic health, safety, and dignity of fellow human and non- human brethren, we all have a part to play in creating a just and sustainable future.
With your donation, you can bank some climate karma and be part of something momentous. Please take a moment, right now, to make your gift online or mail a check in the enclosed envelope to help fund our climate work.
With your continued support, we plan to increase our staﬀ and activities in 2022. Please contribute and make a lasting impact!
“Hope doesn’t come from words. Hope only comes from actions.” ―Greta Thunberg
It is thanks to you and hundreds of other incredibly dedicated and passionate 350 Sacramento volunteers that—together—we have been able to accomplish so much. Help us continue to push for faster and more ambitious action on the climate crisis.
We are all in this together. Thank you for your eﬀorts to create a better future for all!!
350 Sacramento Board President
Please join us at our Annual Meeting in January to plan our activities for 2022.
P.P.S. Save a stamp by donating through our website.
P.P.P.S. We cannot continue this critical work without your support!